Topic: G6 gearbox swap  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Lost Cause on: May 13, 2017, 07:49:02 pm

• Paseo Lover
  • Don't break it Bren or you fozzie
    • View Profile
It's probably been covered many times but being as I did it today I thought I'd share how I did it.
Now I'm nowhere near as fast as I used to be but do have access to a workshop, which is very nice 👍 and started at 8am and job was done by 1 including cups of tea and a bacon butty. It's certainly a job you could do at home with axle stands etc in a day or if you're even slower than me a weekend.

I decided that I'd try to swap boxes without taking the engine out as I thought there would be enough room.

Gearbox out and next to its replacement. I used the paseo cable bracket on the gearbox so took the g6 one off.
Next lifted the gearbox back on and bolted to the engine. Jacked the gearbox back up and used the paseo mounts which bolted straight onto the g6 box. I ran a tap (m10x1.25)  through the front mount holes as these aren't used on the corolla and were pretty grotty.

Not much room between gearbox and chassis but a millimetre is as good as a mile as engineers say .

All looking good so carry on bolting everything back together. Using the paseo cables and gear lever assembly I got 6 forward gears but no reverse. So decided to have a look at the lever.

Notice the part the screwdriver is pointing at, well that has to go so out with the dremmel. This allows the lever to travel further as reverse is to the left of first. Also the side needs relieving a bit to allow the lower part of the lever to swing enough. Bolted back in and hey presto I now have all forward gears and reverse.
I did buy a g6 lever assembly just in case this turned out too bodged for my liking but I can confirm it feels factory perfect so I doubt I'll bother fitting the g6 lever.

If I've missed anything or you have any questions please ask away.

It's thanks to Bren's generous nature that I got the g6 gearbox and apart from a leaky drive shaft seal all is well and it's a worthwhile mod. So cheers Bren 👍
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:40:28 am by Galliano »

Offline bren #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:20:42 pm

• Paseo Lover
    • View Profile
No problem Andy, glad it went well. I don't have the gear or expertise to tackle something like this myself so I'm glad it went to someone with your ability. This is a much easier method than I have previously seen or heard about.  You're something of a pioneer with these recent mods you are doing so keep it up mate. How does it drive now?

Offline Galliano #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:38:56 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Going to have to press you into commission for mine one day too!

Offline Lost Cause #3 on: May 14, 2017, 04:31:50 pm

• Paseo Lover
  • Don't break it Bren or you fozzie
    • View Profile
I'm yet to drive it far due to leaky drive shaft seal but replacements are due on Wednesday but so far so good. Fourth is great in town and sixth is definitely taller than fifth on the previous box so great all round. The ratios seem to suit the standard 5e engine a treat 😊