Topic: 2017 Annual Meet Discussion Thread  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Galliano on: February 04, 2017, 11:55:29 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Right, lets start out on getting something more set in stone so we can all get things booked off work and accomodation sealed before it all gets booked up.

Last year we held our meet at the Sparrow Ansty Brewers Fayre, near Coventry, which was a comfortable location with ample parking, pleasant food and a range of drinks to suit as all. Accomodation was also on site too, with another hotel just down the road. This location was less than 10 minutes from the M6 motorway just outside of Coventry, which meant that as far as the UK goes, it was fairly central to aid an ease of travel for everyone - with most major motorway networks leading easily to the area.

When it comes to time of year, last year we held it in September, which brought us some lovely weather for the travel, mornings and afternoons. However it was a little nippy outside in the evening - but we can always use the bar area for the evening anyway.

So, the question is... Can anyone recommend a better location and dates? Keep in mind that we want to keep it fairly central for all those who would be looking to travel to the meet, and accomodation local is a must. I myself travelled from Somerset 2 hours and 30 minutes.

I'd like to get something set in stone preferably by the end of March.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:23:35 pm by Galliano »

Offline CLDJ #1 on: February 05, 2017, 04:08:47 pm

• Paseo Member
    • View Profile
Early September (just after schools go back) can still be very pleasant weather and if it gets a bit nippy in the evenings, I'll bring a cardi.  At that time of year hotel prices should drop to sensible levels and the earlier we book, the better the rate.  I should think all schools are back by the second weekend in September, 9th and 10th. If it's midweek I'd need to know in plenty of time to arrange annual leave from work. 
I've always thought Premier Inns are good value for money and some of them have restaurants on site.  As they usually have large car parks, we can all loiter together in a Paseo corral at one end!  Failing that, industrial estates are quiet at the weekends and they might make handy meet venues for group photos.
I don't really mind where the location is - as long as it's not a day's drive - so perhaps the location will be driven by choice of hotel rather than the other way around?

Offline Galliano #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:34:31 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Indeed valid point on the schools front, it was mid September last year and worked out just lovely. Price was reasonable and the food in the pub was nice too. You'll always know where to stand with Brewers Fayre.

When it comes to location with the hotel on site it was perfect, as I'd aim to get as many from all angles to arrive. To some people if it's more than an hour and a half drive they won't bother, which is a shame.

Offline Rumface #3 on: February 06, 2017, 08:09:28 pm

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Last year was ace, I'd recommend the same again!

Offline Fozzie #4 on: February 08, 2017, 02:41:14 pm

• Paseo Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Fozzie's Silver EL54
Yes sometime in the 2nd full week of September might work well (11th onwards).

Personally I would prefer the weekend as work will be getting very busy for me by then, but could maybe do a Friday thing since that's only one working day out? Travel up on Friday morning and have the rest of the day plus Saturday to spuddle around?

Offline Galliano #5 on: February 09, 2017, 12:00:58 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Chances are high that we will be doing it on a Saturday and Sunday my man, but dates to be completely confirmed as soon as.

Offline Lost Cause #6 on: February 09, 2017, 05:51:55 pm

• Paseo Lover
  • Don't break it Bren or you fozzie
    • View Profile
I'm with rumface on this one, good venue with central location. I might even stay at downton abbey again lol

Offline Galliano #7 on: February 10, 2017, 12:31:53 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
I might even stay at downton abbey again lol

You'll have to make do with a Paseo to cart you around, the QE-II is up for sale.

Offline Prestonpaseo #8 on: February 10, 2017, 01:48:46 am

• Paseo Lover
    • View Profile
I'll be there on the Sunday 👍