Topic: Val - The Paseo  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Galliano on: June 12, 2015, 11:37:38 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Story in short, this car is why I'm nuts on Paseos. And why this site exists.

In September 1999 my auntie purchased this 30000 mile, 3 year old Paseo on the basis of going into Wellington Motors looking to replace a 1989 Orion. "I want something sporty and silvers he told the salesman, Andy Williams (her claim to fame, just he wasn't THE Andy Williams of music of the 60s).

"We had this Toyota traded in yesterday" he told her, so her response was "yeah that'll do". She didn't even care to test drive until he recommended it. So out round the roundabout and back in again. Done.

Stayed in the family 11 years, and disappeared about 6 months later when the local owner sold it on.

Two years later it pops up on ebay for 500 in Barnstaple. Down we went and got it for 400. Zoe took it on to replace her first badly sprayed, rotting, headgasket blowing Paseo.

And after using it from Taunton to Exeter daily for the last 2 and a half years it now sits at 159k with stem seals about to go, headgasket isn't the best and there's an oil leak. I will be rebuilding the engine and returning it to completely standard. This car to me isn't just a car. It is the reason I'm so weird about these cars, he reason this site exists and the reason I now have 4 Paseos in my possession.

I also cleared the garage out which means I can do this with it:

Offline Rumface #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:29:41 pm

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
That's a nice story man - this car seems to have a lot of memories attached and sounds like you've got a few more to make later down the line  :)

Offline jond #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:23:01 pm

• Paseo Driver
    • View Profile
Great little project there,  and a nice story , glad its got a good home and will be looked after :)

Offline Galliano #3 on: June 15, 2015, 01:39:17 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Cheers guys. Wasn't letting it get away again. Shame it needs some work but the idea will be in the future for me and Zoe to use it in partnership with the Galliano for shows.

Offline Galliano #4 on: March 30, 2017, 06:42:58 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Well... a long time has passed since anything happened with this apart from being buried, unearthed, buried and unearthed over time in the garage. A few things are in the pipeline for the coming months but for now, all I have done is aquire an original Jeff Brown's Toyota keyring, where it was sold new.

Offline Galliano #5 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:52 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Now this has been a while...

So really this just sits in the garage awaiting life, and acting as a mobile shed for the time being too. I must have a full day on clearing out the garage and get all you guys down to take as much as you can...

Until then a little update. The car had managed to get itself some crap Halfords pinstriping around the lower bodyline all round the car... so I peeled all that off as it looked all wonky and it's not how I want the car. Secondly a wash, and thirdly the original Si alloys. Down side is all centercaps are broken but I have another full set to refurb with good centres which I'll get into with nicer weather.

Then I'll get onto rebuilding the engine. One day.

Offline Rumface #6 on: January 05, 2018, 12:12:06 am

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Looking good buddy! It finally awakens!