Topic: Paolo - The Galliano  (Read 12226 times)

Offline Galliano #45 on: July 25, 2017, 01:33:20 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
I don't know you too well obviously but I'm surprised by this. Why the change of heart?

There's much more to it at the moment but really 5 cars are just too many. Currently the Galliano is still taxed and MOTd but not insured and therefore not used. It's a toss up between 80 quid a month storing 2 cars, or selling 2. It makes more sense to let 2 go and put the money into the others in theory.

Offline bren #46 on: July 25, 2017, 05:30:52 pm

• Paseo Lover
    • View Profile
Yeah that does make every sense. Hopefully they will find good homes.

Offline Lost Cause #47 on: July 25, 2017, 07:12:56 pm

• Paseo Lover
  • Don't break it Bren or you fozzie
    • View Profile
You could just work harder and keep the galliano. You'd have to change your name to black si and that's just rubbish. Hope this helps.....

Offline Galliano #48 on: January 04, 2018, 10:40:11 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
As can be seen from the post in the hoard thread, Paolo got a bit of love this week up at the unit. For the first time since being put in there, started first turn of the key and moved out into daylight. And on go the original alloys.

And tucked back away again.

I've positioned them in sequence of work, so the Galliano is easier to access now to get working on the front end, as I have a replacement bumper ready to go on. I've also got a couple of bits ready for the interior too. The intentions are to get him back on the road again around March/April.

Offline Rumface #49 on: January 05, 2018, 12:16:42 am

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Man that storage place looks great - I'm quite jealous.

Good to see the fleet has some shelter over the crapper British weather at least!

Offline Galliano #50 on: April 05, 2018, 07:53:33 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Another long overdue update on Paolo the Galliano, but work is commencing.

A month or so ago I brought Paolo home from storage, swapping with my Silver Si so that I could start the work getting this back on the road.

First things first I know the garage is untidy, I'll work on that one day. Now, second things second, the polish came out on a cold day and I started scrubbing up.

It's nowhere near done either, but I'm pleased with the underside of the bonnet. Sadly though the weather set in for the worse... and the snow and the sleet and the freezing rain, and this is about as far as I've got. Give it time and I'll be tinkering again.

Fast forward until last week and my decision to sell the Estima, what has become a rolling shed for Galliano parts that I'd accumulated at the end of last year. And I had to walk around the corner to where the bus is and walk home with this under my arm....

Filthy, grubby, hideously faded and covered with metal fallout from its 10 years going to and from the British Steel works with the previous owner of the car it came from. So I washed it off and it sat out in the rain for a while.

So a dry day but cold, led me to go on into the living room... bumper in tow. And let the elbow grease commence. Two evenings of sitting in warmth watching Friends and 8 Simple Rules on TV, whilst scrubbing like buggery with G3 compound, Meguiars Show Gloss paint renovation and wax. Here's the finished result:

It does need a few touch ins, as does mum's Galliano too, so I'll get some touch up paint soon and sort out the bits and pieces wrong with it. But it's a darn sight better than the other which has not only a damaged lip but a completely different shade of yellow on it too, as you can see from previous photos.

All in good time, at this speed I should have it back on the road by 2034.

Offline Lost Cause #51 on: April 05, 2018, 10:18:08 pm

• Paseo Lover
    • View Profile
Looks great, the underside of the bonnet makes a huge difference.  Iím jealous of your garage lol the weather stops me doing anything!!

Offline Galliano #52 on: April 05, 2018, 11:02:21 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Looks great, the underside of the bonnet makes a huge difference.  Iím jealous of your garage lol the weather stops me doing anything!!

It still stops me, there's not room for me AND a car...

Offline Galliano #53 on: April 17, 2018, 02:34:03 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
So in light of nice weather, at long last, I made a decision to get some more bits cleaned up.

First off I've removed the battery and intake housing and ducting, to access and clean the battery tray area. 20 years worth of crap hasn't been too kind to the bay and there's some hard to reach areas. If I had the time and ability I'd be removing everything and respraying the bay, but as I don't have the ability it will stay as is for the time being and I'll just do what I can with what can be seen.

Grime. Next up I decided lights out and bumper off in turn for getting the new bumper on anyway.

And while the lights were out I cleaned up the backs:

And the same for the indicator units:

And given the fronts 3 stages of compound, two coats of polish and a scrub of wax to protect them:

Lights going back in, with all bolts going back in coated with grease to ensure they don't sheer whenever I need to remove them again.

And last but not least the new bumper on.

Engine bay is yet to go back together, I've got an evenings worth of plastic parts to clean up and dress. Then they can all go back in. Then the next job will be cleaning and polishing the inlet manifold and cam cover - when I locate my wire brush.

It's amazing what difference the front end clean up has made. Theoretically removing all the grime is making it lighter, and therefore should be better on fuel... :P

Offline Galliano #54 on: April 17, 2018, 07:56:54 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Didn't take me long before I was back out at it again. I really wanted to finish off the plastics and get them back in before they blew all over my garden.

Here's the battery tray area after:

Alot better than it was before but, I'm still not perfectly happy with that area. If only it wasn't 20 years worth of crap. Anyway, I fitted the bumper side grilles, what a difference the dressing makes.

Re-fitted the cowling around the bonnet release catch:

Although I've lost 2 of the clips so, when I can be bothered I'll sit and go through 3 tubs of nuts bolts clips and washers...

I re-fitted the intake set all cleaned and dressed:

Which now makes the cam cover and and inlet manifold look awful. I'll polish up the inlet manifold but I think I'll end up painting the cam cover for a cleaner look.

And another shot of how clean these headlights have come up, I'm really pleased with them.

More to come tomorrow when I've bought a new wire brush - I still can't locate the old one.

Offline Fozzie #55 on: April 18, 2018, 09:35:59 am

• Paseo Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Fozzie's Silver EL54
What a transformation, makes it look like a different car!

Offline Lost Cause #56 on: April 18, 2018, 08:35:42 pm

• Paseo Lover
    • View Profile
Looks terrific, well done that man.

Offline Galliano #57 on: April 18, 2018, 09:41:13 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Kind words from you both, thank you.

It's taking quite some time but I'm confident I'll be chuffed with the outcome. I want to have her ready for MOT by the end of May... although I might need your help with the ABS Andy!

Offline Galliano #58 on: May 11, 2018, 06:38:29 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
What was I thinking saying it will be MOT'd by the end of May? More like end of the year. The annual health check is coming up on Polly Paseo first, and being that's the daily that one is more important right now.

However, more progress has been made on the garage queen. First of all, we had some nice weather so out if the garage he came. I got the rear arches, rear underside, wheel well, fuel tank and half way down the central undercarriage on the passengerside coated in underseal to defend against rust. Hopefully this will hold it back for a few extra years.

I've painted it on extra thick too, just to be sure and to defend more against stone chipping.

I've removed the rear bumper and lights to get it all cleaned up behind but stupidly I've no before photos..

I also touched in a few of the worst damage to the front bumper and lip too.

More to come... whenever I get round to it.

Offline Galliano #59 on: April 17, 2019, 11:38:27 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
It's been a while getting round to it for sure... time flies..

So, through the house move this little gem was placed on a friend's driveway, where it became a bit of an ornament. Certainly got a bit grubby sitting there barely seeing sunlight. It got to a stage where my friend would mention this from time to time, so I decided enough was enough and got him in for the work I knew would need carrying out before he could have a years raadworthyness certificate.

So in he goes.

I had the drive shaft sorted out so that the ABS ring was present once again. I took it to the chap who does all the maintenance on the cabs,  as I knew he would do a good job and not rob me.

For the ticket, all that was needed was a will end welding and the headlight bulb plugging back in - which is weird as it worked before he took it for the test.

But, once insured and taxed I brought him back to my new place and got cracking with the polish...

I've also put a brand new emblem on the back...

And purchased a replica dealer sticker too. Thankfully Bill Allen was already in their inventory, that is the dealership this one came from.

More to come in a few weeks, as we are off on an outing...  ;D