Topic: Rumface's Paseo  (Read 28593 times)

Offline Rumface #150 on: December 13, 2015, 04:04:10 pm

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Fella on here was selling them  ;D

Offline steed #151 on: December 14, 2015, 07:11:05 am

• Workshop Manager
    • View Profile
very nice man! have you check the front anti roll bar bushes for this knocking?

Offline Rumface #152 on: December 15, 2015, 11:20:11 am

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
very nice man! have you check the front anti roll bar bushes for this knocking?

That's a really good call - I'll jack it up later and see what I can wobble.

Update: Tie Rod end was loose where it screws onto the inner tie rod - was all tightened from what I could tell. Just sent it back to where I had my tracking done.

The wheel movement was pretty spooky, was a bit upset I'd been driving on it.

Update Update: All fixed, replacement inner offside tie rod.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:59:43 am by Rumface »

Offline Rumface #153 on: February 15, 2016, 12:52:49 am

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Valentines Update

Had a bit of a sesh today - got the oil changed and a few other niggles looked at. Intake pipe ducted to the front opening, complete clean outside as well as working on a 318Ti. (Confirmed the Paseo is quicker and much better looking)

Offline bren #154 on: February 16, 2016, 10:04:34 pm

• Paseo Lover
    • View Profile
Have to agree, much better looking 😀 Liking that intake mate, looks good. I fancy doing a 4efe Intake myself. Am I right in thinking that they are a strait swap? Do you notice much difference with it?

Offline Rumface #155 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:39 pm

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
The feel is definitely different, I couldn't say for sure if it is quicker but I did notice it feels a lot less hesitant at higher RPMs. The Corolla intake  is a little lighter too!

Offline bren #156 on: February 17, 2016, 12:24:07 pm

• Paseo Lover
    • View Profile
Well I'm sold. That's next on my shopping list then

Offline Rumface #157 on: March 07, 2016, 01:25:54 pm

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Some niggles to sort at the moment - I seem to have a really sensitive auxiliary belt, it tends to squeal a whole bunch under acceleration or deceleration recently - after 10 minutes of driving the squeal goes away completely. I'm hoping the belt has just slackened up seeing as it was replaced by a garage not so long ago. It only started a little while back in the cold weather and I put it down to water on the belt perhaps but it is now quite consistent so there is obviously something up!

I read online if you can rotate the belt more than 90deg on the straightest part that it is too loose, I'm going to have a fiddle with it soon but if anyone has any ideas it's appreciated  :)

Offline Galliano #158 on: March 07, 2016, 06:13:40 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
You've got to be careful with the aux belts on these, mine had the same issue down to silicone engine bay dressing. It was down to grease on the belt. Has it only happened since you serviced? If so, probably oil on it.

Offline JIm #159 on: March 08, 2016, 01:34:37 am

• Paseo Driver
    • View Profile
Both aux belts on the paseo are tensioned manually unlike most modern cars meaning they will need tightening sometimes

New belts seem to bed in and need tightening after a few hundred miles but i have noticed recently Gates belts are worse than most.

I'd be interested to know if they are gates belts the garage fitted?
I fitted 2 gates belts to a van recently and still had problems, changed to a Dayco belt which sorted it straight away!

Offline Rumface #160 on: April 09, 2016, 06:19:35 pm

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Little Update - a lot of my life has changed around some of it is bad, but a few things really really good.

I've bought myself a practical daily car so I can use the Paseo more as a project / kept car rather than worrying about door dings and clocking miles on it.

I chose a Toyota Camry 3.0 V6 because I heard it was very economical and practical as a little run around type car.  :P

Thanks to a friend I have access to some work space and tools to maintain the Paseo and Camry as often as I need - also a few mods here and there. My new vision with the Paseo is to make it more of an enjoyable weekend driver for B-Roads and perhaps the odd track day in the future - now that I am not reliant on it being drivable every single day I can take time to aim for bigger and better things, there still isn't a car I know that can out handle the Paseo around a country road!

First modification for a little while is driving lights. The Paseo beams just don't inspire confidence around a twisty road at night. I'm pretty sure I'll be upsetting some people with these but I promise I won't be hacking up the rest of it!

Offline Galliano #161 on: April 09, 2016, 08:06:59 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
As said previously, I like these in their retro kinda way. Would be funky with some white Hella covers for them too.

Offline steed #162 on: April 14, 2016, 08:33:28 pm

• Workshop Manager
    • View Profile
those driving lamps look very JDM, not entirely to my taste though as i would have gotten a set of corolla fog lamps and fifted them in the left and right airdams.
She is looking tidy though. congratulations on the camry, if it should ever fall from favor let me know as i can repurpose that v6...

Offline Rumface #163 on: April 14, 2016, 09:38:21 pm

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Thanks steed - I really needed something facing front, the headlights just don't cut it on a country road compared to modern units. These driving lights are actually a lot brighter than the full beam on the stock lights - they cast shadows on bumps in the road too which is super useful.

The Camry V6 is wonderful to drive, it just kind of wofts around - not particularly rushed. It is a real justice leaving "sports cars" for dead and embarrassing modern executive cars.Despite 119,000 miles the oil is clean and everything has been serviced by Toyota since new, everything works perfectly!

I want another Camry V6 to squash into my Paseo, only thing is they only seem to come with auto's but I might be able to live with that.

Paseo 5EFE - 89hp - 920KG ~10 seconds 0-60
Camry 1MZ-FE - 192hp - 1480KG ~8 seconds -60
Cameo 1MZ-FE - 192hp - 920KG ~ 4-5 seconds?

Offline steed #164 on: April 15, 2016, 10:49:20 am

• Workshop Manager
    • View Profile
how you'd do that my friend (and there is space as they can squeeze a 3gste into a starlet so there is more room to use in a paseo) is by mating a FWD st202/182 gearbox (type S54) to a 1mz-fe using an MR2 turbo flywheel and clutch.
The 1mz-fe is actually lighter than a 3sgte so more torque, less weight although you will need an LSD.
I have seen tell that some people are squeezing mkiii mr2 factory LSD into the earlier type S54 box. i'll have to look into that a bit more though as I'm not sure how that is done. then hey presto, torque steer for days...

EDIT: just checked, it seems that the alternative part no. for s54 gearbox LSD is the same part-no. as the mkiii MR2 LSD (apparently there are a few MR2's on twoBrutal running mk3 LSDs in their S54 box. it should be noted the S54 box is only stipulated as fitted to SW20 and ST202, not the ST182. P.S steer clear of SW20 gearboxes as the selector setup is backwards for the mid engine layout
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:00:00 am by steed »