Topic: Polly - The Paseo  (Read 19396 times)

Offline Fozzie #120 on: October 04, 2017, 02:13:11 pm

• Paseo Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Fozzie's Silver EL54
She's looking good after your repair, especially considering how she was looking before! Good job buddy :)

Offline Galliano #121 on: November 09, 2017, 02:32:30 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Pardon my lack once again. It's been a rocky few months really. Here's a little update for Polly.

She still cleans up nice at 202500 miles. I just need to do some exhaust repairs. I fitted a new back box rather hastily and it hasn't turned out well. Sounds incredibly beefy but that starts to get on your nerves at 70mph. So i need to remove it. Until then I've stopped using her too, and instead I've been enjoying the quiet of Pauline Paseo.

Offline Galliano #122 on: January 04, 2018, 10:45:20 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Another brief update, and more of a warning of another update...

203800 miles, after a trip to London and Doncaster, and a few jaunts here and there more local and over the hills, Polly has got a bit funny with me.

She has protested her displeasure of country roads by throwing her rear brake shoes out of line. This now means I need new shoes and tighten the handbrake etc. Hey ho, atleast I can do the rear wheel bearings at the same time.

Offline Rumface #123 on: January 05, 2018, 12:13:53 am

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
True testament to how well these are dialled in from the factory.

Those brakes are scary - but you should be okay you're a dab hand right?

Offline Galliano #124 on: January 05, 2018, 08:56:53 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Dab hand if you're drunk and won't remember it...?

Well I gave it a shot. And the outcome is all good. They work.

Just need to get some adjustment on them and for the handbrake but otherwise all should be good. I'll have Lost Cause do it later this month when I see him, along with tracking and wheel bearings too.

So... the day starts at around 1:30pm

Ok admittedly those were the OK ones, I didn't grab any photos before that as I was too busy learning.....

And recourse, as always when I'm a useless mechanic, Lost Cause was at the other end of the phone for guidance and to tell me what I've done wrong. But the main thing is they work as intended, and it is only a little adjustment needed.

Atleast I can continue racking up miles.

Offline Rumface #125 on: January 06, 2018, 11:39:42 am

• Events Staff
  • Toyota Paseo ST 97'
    • View Profile
Looks like you did a good job man! :)

Were the drums hard to get off?

I always worry with these simple jobs - the radiator in my Camry was an arse because the bottom most splash guard was rusted on!

Offline Galliano #126 on: January 06, 2018, 03:11:36 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Looks like you did a good job man! :)

Were the drums hard to get off?

I always worry with these simple jobs - the radiator in my Camry was an arse because the bottom most splash guard was rusted on!

Piece of wee.

Infact the hub nut isn't as tight as what you'd think, as it needs to allow the hub to move. Meant to do it up tight then undo half turn so it actually makes it quite easy. Worst part of the job was the springs. Even with pliers my beady little guns struggled.

Actually I'd say the retaining bar would be worst, springs second.

Offline Galliano #127 on: April 06, 2018, 11:32:58 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Not alot to report on Polly the Paseo at the moment.. She still looks a bit half arsed since the accident. But mileage count is 207300. And it's been a little cold.

Offline Galliano #128 on: April 17, 2019, 12:22:00 am

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Wow. It's been quite some time since updates on old Polly have sprung up, so I best get you up to date.

Last year, after a mishap with a falling branch from a tree, she became in need of a new windscreen and gained a dent in the bonnet. This coupled with a house move, acquisition of another two cars and job change, saw her going into hibernation at the farm.

Sadly she came out of it a little rough. Not just through the mouldy seats and steering wheel due to a water leak into the boot, but also the clutch was slipping badly. Now in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears there's a rattle sort of noise on acceleration. I think it's time for a new gearbox. So... She needs...

New gearbox and clutch
Service (Full)
New windscreen
Rust repairs
Exhaust re-joining/aligning
Possibly discs and pads
Drivers door and wing aligning correctly (still from the accident in 2017)

I'm at a loose end as to what to do. I've driven her a bit lately to try and figure in my mind if I can give up on her. She's nearing 218k on the clock and really, never put a wheel turn wrong until now. I guess time will tell. Currently this is how she sits on the TSW Hockenheims.