Topic: Wheel Refurbishment  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Kokoro on: February 20, 2019, 02:02:55 am

• Paseo Member
  • this is personal text
    • View Profile
    • kokorolibrary.net

Recently I have been having issues with the tyres staying inflated.  There isn't anything wrong with the tyres as such.  I had the fronts resealed in December and yesterday one of the rears, air was leaking from the rim.  It was suggested at the garage that I may need to get the wheels refurbished.  What does that mean exactly?  Get the wheels realigned?  straightened?  Cleaned by someone who has more than a rag and a tub of water?

I have had issues in work and since November I have had my hours reduced, to just 5 per week, so I have very little money at the moment.  (I start a new job inn 4 weeks time though)
I guess the problems with the wheels have been because I have been doing a different area in work which has meant driving over the docks each day.  Terrible roads as well as lots of speed bumps in the car park.  Driving passed a scrap merchant too also has caused me issues with picking up things in the tyres in the past.
These roads are owned my ABP and so the council cannot maintain them.  No-one does.  I have to drive slowly go get out of work because there are quite violent dips and bumps to get over.  I am guessing it takes its toll on the wheels and tyres.

Am I likely to need the wheels looked at?  How much would I be expected to pay?  How long will it take?  Have any of you had it done?

New job in 4 weeks time, so I may wait till then.

Offline Lost Cause #1 on: February 20, 2019, 02:03:43 pm

• Paseo Lover
  • Don't break it Bren or you fozzie
    • View Profile
Sounds like the bead seat on the rim is corroded. The only successful way to deal with it that we use is getting the rims powder coated. The process involves blasting all the old paint and corrosion off and coating them with a statically charged powder that melts when put in a huge oven and coats the rims. Iíve had quite a few sets done and costs about £35.00 per rim. On top of that the tyre removal, refitting, valve and balance. Iíll get sam to stick a pic of the last set I had done on for you.

*Edit, photo added by Galliano*
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:10:15 pm by Galliano »

Offline Kokoro #2 on: February 21, 2019, 04:17:40 am

• Paseo Member
  • this is personal text
    • View Profile
    • kokorolibrary.net

Thank you for the responses.

£35 doesn't seem too bad.  I will ask around for local places it can be done.  I may still have to wait till I get my first income from this new job.