Topic: Paseo Fan from USA  (Read 582 times)

Offline jeff_x on: February 06, 2019, 02:06:36 pm

• Paseo Member
    • View Profile
Hi, Paseo Fans.

I am the former owner of an 1992 EL44 USDM Paseo.  I had to trade it for a more utilitarian family car a few years ago.  Now that I can, I'm eventually going to find a good, dry EL44 for a daily driver here in the US.  I'd like to swap in a 4E-FTE for a bit of flavor. I appreciate the style of these cars and their dependability and reliability.  I love cars of all stripes and grew up in a family of British sports car fanatics.

Thanks for adding me to your club.

Jeff_x
Arkansas, USA

Offline Galliano #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:19:53 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Welcome along Jeff.

It has always seemed to be the case that people in the UK that sell their Paseo, end up back in one again at some stage. It's great to hear that it's the same in the USA.

The plan sounds great. Did you do anything with your old EL44? Or did you keep that one standard?

From what I can tell, the Paseo is fairly thin on the ground over there at the moment, with only a few EL54s springing up for sale once in a  while.

Offline jeff_x #2 on: February 06, 2019, 05:14:03 pm

• Paseo Member
    • View Profile
Welcome along Jeff.

It has always seemed to be the case that people in the UK that sell their Paseo, end up back in one again at some stage. It's great to hear that it's the same in the USA.

The plan sounds great. Did you do anything with your old EL44? Or did you keep that one standard?

From what I can tell, the Paseo is fairly thin on the ground over there at the moment, with only a few EL54s springing up for sale once in a  while.

I kept my car bone stock, adding only an aftermarket front strut brace.  I see Paseos occasionally, especially when I lived in Phoenix, where the desert climate tends to preserve cars.  Oddly enough, I seem to see EL44's more often than 54's and Paseo convertibles more often than the hardtops, just my luck  ;D

This is a stock photo, but an exact twin my own, although mine had a sunroof (see attached):

Offline Lost Cause #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:39:48 pm

• Paseo Lover
  • Don't break it Bren or you fozzie
    • View Profile
Hi Jeff and welcome,

Good luck with the hunt for an el44, I do hope you find one and share some pictures on here. I totally approve of your plan, what an excellent idea lol

Offline Galliano #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:15:30 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
I'm surprised they are still numerous over there, as they rarely seem to come up for sale. I guess people know what they have over there, and also they seem to hold value alot better than over here.

Let's hope you find one soon!

Offline jeff_x #5 on: February 08, 2019, 03:43:52 am

• Paseo Member
    • View Profile
Welcome along Jeff.

I kept my car bone stock, adding only an aftermarket front strut brace.  I see Paseos occasionally, especially when I lived in Phoenix, where the desert climate tends to preserve cars.  Oddly enough, I seem to see EL44's more often than 54's and Paseo convertibles more often than the hardtops, just my luck  ;D

This is a stock photo, but an exact twin my own, although mine had a sunroof (see attached):

Found a pi of my old 'seo.  see below:

Offline Galliano #6 on: February 08, 2019, 02:50:07 pm

• Administrator
  • Serial Paseo Hoarder
    • View Profile
    • UK Paseo Club
Looks like it even had the genuine Toyota optional bonnet bra too, awesome! Did you ever take a look underneath to see if it had built up moisture?

Offline jeff_x #7 on: February 15, 2019, 11:16:19 am

• Paseo Member
    • View Profile
This car had some rust when I bought it.  I repaired some of it, especially in the wheel wells.  I lived in Michigan at the time where they use a lot of road salt.

Offline JoTucker #8 on: February 23, 2019, 10:42:37 am

• Paseo Newcomer
    • View Profile
I just literally replaced the engine on my 92 Toyota Paseo. Took it work today and was putting it in reverse when I heard a popping sound. I drove fine up until I got onto the freeway.

Offline jeff_x #9 on: April 13, 2019, 10:23:05 pm

• Paseo Member
    • View Profile
I just literally replaced the engine on my 92 Toyota Paseo. Took it work today and was putting it in reverse when I heard a popping sound. I drove fine up until I got onto the freeway.

Wow, 5e engines are usually so bulletproof!